I have the very bad habit of forgetting to eat breakfast. I’m not sure why – I love breakfast. But lately I’ll skip right from coffee to work and the next thing I know it’s 4pm. Awful, right? But that all changes when there’s fresh orange & blueberry scones around.
I’ve never actually made scones before and I’ll tell you why – my boyfriend/chef makes life-changing scones. The worst part? He doesn’t even use a special recipe he just knows what to do. Regardless I figured I’d just go for it and I’m glad I did. Although they weren’t as good as my chef’s scones they were still the perfect start to the day (especially when I smothered them with lemon curd – recipe coming soon).
The important part to remember when making scones is to make sure the butter is cold. The easiest way is to freeze the butter and grate it into the flour – but I doubt you’ll ever find a chef who does that. Instead, just keep the butter in the fridge until you’re ready to use it and avoid touching it at all costs.
orange & blueberry scones recipe:
- ingredients –
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp orange zest
1 cup cold unsalted butter
1/2 cups frozen blueberries
1/2 cup sour cream
- directions -
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt & orange zest.
- take butter out of the fridge and cut it into small cubes. add the butter cubes to flour mixture using a pastry cutter (or 2 knives) to cut the butter into the flour. mix until the butter lumps are the size of peas.
- in a separate bowl mix together the sour cream & egg.
- add the sour cream/egg mixture & the blueberries to the flour/butter mixture and stir until it starts to come together
- transfer to a floured surface and pat into a circle about the size of a plate. sprinkle with some sugar and cut into 8 wedges. arrange the wedges on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper bake about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- optional – orange glaze – mix together 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1/4 tsp orange zest & 2 tbsp fresh orange juice. drizzle over cooling scones.