apple tarts with flaky crust
Before I started my quest to learn how to cook I had one impressive fall back recipe – homemade apple pie. Perfectly homey, I have yet to make a pie that was worse than any store bought version. Seriously – I’ve had everything go wrong and it still tastes gourmet next to a prepackaged pie.
At the moment my tiny apartment is overrun with apples. I’ve been apple picking with LifeCyles Fruit Tree Program – a local initiative that picks fruit from privately owned trees that would otherwise be wasted. Part of the program is that volunteers – like myself – walk away with a percentage of the pick. From my haul of apples I’ve made apple sauce, apple butter, apple bars, apple fritters, apple crisp & even apple cider (which is still fermenting).
I have peeled too many apples in the last month so I decided to try a short-cut. Instead of cutting enough apples to fill the tart I used apple sauce topped with apple slices. To add some sweetness I drizzled it with local caramelized honey. It was perfect – it cooked in 20 minutes and had the perfect combination of texture.
I still have over 5lbs of apples left but I have run out of ideas. Guess I’m just going to have to make apple fritters again…
apple tart recipe
- ingredients –
for the crust
2 cups flour
1 cup very cold butter
1 1/2 cups ice cold water
1 tsp vinegar
for the filling
3 cups apple sauce
- directions –
- mix water & vinegar. put in freezer for 10 minutes. while water is cooling put flour in mixing bowl. cut cold butter in small cubes & add to flour. use a pastry cutter or 2 knives to cut the butter into the flour until the lumps of butter are roughly pea size.
- take water out of freezer and slowly add it to the flour/butter mixture. add just enough water for the dough to come together – the key is to not over mix. form the dough into a ball and divide in half. wrap the two halves in plastic wrap and let them sit in the fridge for 2 hours.
- preheat oven to 375 degrees. take dough out of the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface. cut out a circle 5 cm larger than the tart pan. carefully lay the dough over the tart pan and gently press it down & trim the edges. Punch small holes in the base of the crust with a fork to prevent it from bubbling. bake for 20 minutes. remove from oven and let cool.
- add a thick layer of apple sauce to the bottom of the tart. gently layer thin slices of apple working from the outside in. drizzle the caramelized honey over the tart until it is completely covered.
- bake for 20 minutes until the apples have softened. serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.